Postgraduate Coursework

The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences offers more than 40 coursework degrees at Master, Graduate Diploma and Graduate Certificate level. The postgraduate program caters for a range of study interests, whether you’re seeking higher academic qualification in your chosen discipline, a broader, stimulating course of study in a new discipline you’ve always wanted to investigate, or selective, focused non-award study.

If you are a current student seeking information on upgrading your degree, or exiting with a shorter award course, you can find guidelines here.


Please note: Following recommendations made by the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) for the reform of Postgraduate courses being offered by Australian Universities, the structure of many Postgraduate courses has changed.

For course durations, please refer to the information within the linked pages below

Executive Master of Arts and Social Sciences
Master of Economics
Master of Economic Analysis

Social and Political Sciences

Master of Development Studies
Master of Health Security
Master of Human Rights
Master of International Relations
Master of International Security
Master of International Studies
Master of Peace and Conflict Studies
Master of Political Economy
Master of Public Policy
Master of US Studies
Social Work and Policy Studies
Master of Policy Studies
Master of Social Work
Master of Social Work (Qualifying)
Graduate Certificate in Human and Community Services
Arts and culture
Master of Art Curating
Master of Contemporary Art
Master of Cultural Studies
Master of Moving Image
Master of Museum and Heritage Studies

Media and communications

Master of Creative Writing
Master of Crosscultural and Applied Linguistics
Master of Digital Communication and Culture
Master of English Studies
Master of Health Communication
Master of Media Practice
Master of Publishing
Master of Strategic Public Relations
Master of Teaching (Early Childhood)
Master of Teaching (Primary)
Master of Teaching (Health and Physical Education)
Master of Teaching (Secondary)
Master of Teaching (School Counselling)

Professional Education

Master of Education
Master of Education (Educational Management and Leadership)
Master of Education (Educational Psychology)
Master of Education (International Education)
Master of Education (Special and Inclusive Education)
Master of Education (TESOL)
Master of Education (Sports Coaching)
Master of Indigenous Languages Education
Master of Learning Sciences and Technology
Graduate Certificate in Educational Studies (Higher Education)

For more information: You can search and review information on all of the courses offered by the University of Sydney at Sydney Courses.

Relevant prior learning

Waivers and reductions in the volume of learning may be granted to Masters students in recognition of prior learning (eg. completion of a major or honours in the subject area). Please speak with the Faculty if this applies to you.

Recognition of prior learning (RPL) and work experience can mean a reduction in the number of units required to complete a Masters degree. Depending on the grade of prior learning and work experience attained, you could save up to a year of full-time study and complete your degree in just 12 months.

Applicants who wish to be considered for RPL need to contact the Faculty and may have to submit a CV and references to cover a certain minimum of experience, depending on the course to which they are applying.

An RPL credit is granted at the discretion of the Program Director of the applicant's chosen course.

Masters degrees

These are ideal if you need specialised knowledge and skills, and want to:

  • take the next step in your career
  • gain professional qualifications for your next job
  • upskill for your current role
  • develop academic expertise in your chosen field
  • expand your horizons.

A master’s degree typically requires between one and two years of full-time study. If you cannot commit to full-time study straight away because of, say, family or work commitments, we also offer the flexibility of part-time study for domestic students.

Graduate diplomas and graduate certificates

These are usually based on master’s degrees and offer a subset of the master’s units of study. They are a good alternative if you want to try out postgraduate study or increase the breadth of your expertise and knowledge, or if you don’t quite meet the entry requirements for a master’s degree.

Once you finish the graduate certificate (usually six months of full-time study) you may then be able to progress to the equivalent graduate diploma (usually one year of full-time study) or a master’s degree.

A graduate certificate or graduate diploma is also an excellent option if you don’t want to commit to a full master’s degree but still need a solid grounding in your chosen field.

Student Affairs and Engagement

The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences Student Affairs and Engagement Team provides key support for Postgraduate students. The Team is a good starting point for enquiries, particular those which students do not know where to direct. Get in touch by emailing

Starting university and studying at The University of Sydney can be challenging, particularly for Postgraduate and International students. The Student Affairs and Engagement Team runs a number of programs directed at Undergraduate, Postgraduate and International Students aimed at making transition to university and continuing studies successful.

For more information about the Postgraduate programs which the Student Affairs and Engagement Team administers, click here. Of particular interest for Postgraduate Students are the Postgraduate Welcome and Campus at Dusk event.